Why this blog is called "Gallimaufry".

gal-uh-MAW-free\, noun.

Originally meaning "a hash of various kinds of meats," "gallimaufry" comes from French galimafrée; in Old French, from the word galer, "to rejoice, to make merry"; in old English: gala + mafrer: "to eat much," and from Medieval Dutch maffelen: "to open one's mouth wide."

It's also a dish made by hashing up odds and ends of food; a heterogeneous mixture; a hodge-podge; a ragout; a confused jumble; a ridiculous medley; a promiscuous (!) assemblage of persons.

Those of you who know me, will, I’m sure, understand how well some of these phrases (barring the "promiscuous" bit!) fit me.

More importantly, this blog is an ode to my love for Shimla. I hope to show you this little town through my eyes. If you don't see too many people in it, forgive me, because I'm a little chary of turning this into a human zoo.

Stop by for a spell, look at my pictures, ask me questions about Shimla, if you wish. I shall try and answer them as best as I can. Let's be friends for a while....

8 July 2006

Stations along the Kalka-Shimla railway line

(Strictly for the detail-minded!)
Kalka
Taksal
Gumman
Koti
Jabli
Sonwara
Kasauli Road
Dharaampur
Kumarhatti
Barog
Solan
Kandaghat
Kanoh
Kaithleeghat
Shoghi
Taradevi
Jatogh
Summer Hill
Shimla.

2 comments:

verisimladude said...

thanks for the list! i'd missed out taksal and shoghi (realise footboard travel in the rain leaves notebooks exposed to data loss)..also kumarhatti was "kumarhatti dagshai" on the station board, or is that another station?
please add the altitudes as well if possible - the detail-minded like to pair-up names with numbers for better recall :)

Geetali said...

Kumarhatti and Kumarhatti Dagshai are one and the same place.
Thank you for the wonderful suggestion of pairing places with heights from mean sea level. I think I've a lovely book on the Kalka-Shimla line which may contain his data. Will try post the same soon.
Thank you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails