Why this blog is called "Gallimaufry".

gal-uh-MAW-free\, noun.

Originally meaning "a hash of various kinds of meats," "gallimaufry" comes from French galimafrée; in Old French, from the word galer, "to rejoice, to make merry"; in old English: gala + mafrer: "to eat much," and from Medieval Dutch maffelen: "to open one's mouth wide."

It's also a dish made by hashing up odds and ends of food; a heterogeneous mixture; a hodge-podge; a ragout; a confused jumble; a ridiculous medley; a promiscuous (!) assemblage of persons.

Those of you who know me, will, I’m sure, understand how well some of these phrases (barring the "promiscuous" bit!) fit me.

More importantly, this blog is an ode to my love for Shimla. I hope to show you this little town through my eyes. If you don't see too many people in it, forgive me, because I'm a little chary of turning this into a human zoo.

Stop by for a spell, look at my pictures, ask me questions about Shimla, if you wish. I shall try and answer them as best as I can. Let's be friends for a while....

13 September 2008

And still more roofs!

Shimla's roofs are such a delight! I cannot seem to get enough of them, and so must inflict them on the gentle reader.


This shop used to house FabIndia until last year. alas, it's a casual-wear shop now.

Gaiety Theatre, which is still under renovation.


This yellow building houses our prime fire station, complete with a cute little fire truck whose provenance is unknown.


The Punjab National Bank building bags the prize for uglification of an otherwise lovely roof an facade.


Enfin, a poem by Robert Herrick, on the theme of roofs, of course.

TO THE GENIUS OF HIS HOUSE:
Command the roof, great Genius, and from thence
Into this house pour down thy influence,
That through each room a golden pipe may run
Of living water by thy benizon;
Fulfill thy larders, and with strength'ning bread
Be ever-more these bins replenished.
Next, like a bishop consecrate my ground,
That lucky fairies here may dance their round;
And after that, lay down some silver pence,
The master's charge and care to recompense,
Charm then the chambers; make the beds for ease,
More than for peevish pining sicknesses;
Fix the foundation fast, and let the roof
Grow old with time, but yet keep weather-proof.



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails