Why this blog is called "Gallimaufry".

gal-uh-MAW-free\, noun.

Originally meaning "a hash of various kinds of meats," "gallimaufry" comes from French galimafrée; in Old French, from the word galer, "to rejoice, to make merry"; in old English: gala + mafrer: "to eat much," and from Medieval Dutch maffelen: "to open one's mouth wide."

It's also a dish made by hashing up odds and ends of food; a heterogeneous mixture; a hodge-podge; a ragout; a confused jumble; a ridiculous medley; a promiscuous (!) assemblage of persons.

Those of you who know me, will, I’m sure, understand how well some of these phrases (barring the "promiscuous" bit!) fit me.

More importantly, this blog is an ode to my love for Shimla. I hope to show you this little town through my eyes. If you don't see too many people in it, forgive me, because I'm a little chary of turning this into a human zoo.

Stop by for a spell, look at my pictures, ask me questions about Shimla, if you wish. I shall try and answer them as best as I can. Let's be friends for a while....

28 December 2008

Eureka!

There is an unalloyed joy in discovering the name of a plant you saw & went bonkers over! This morning, I understood for the first time what Archimedes would have felt on discovering the principle of buoyancy!



Calceolaria, also known as ''pocketbook plant'' and ''lady's purse'' is a quaint little plant. It is shaped like a little purse and, in S's home, was found in two colours: a very vivid yellow, speckled with red and a bright red. It is soft-stemmed and about 6 inches in height. FV's vade mecum says it is a native of Chile and Peru and can grow up to 3 feet in height. My vade mecum says the plant is a native of Mexico and identifies the Himalayan species as calceolaria gracilis.






Extreme close-up:



3 comments:

Ann said...

How very unusual, and beautiful.

Zed said...

The yellow plant looks vaguely related to the orchid plant. Is that possible? Absolutely beautiful.

thoughtsnrashi said...

Hi,
i've been to shimla only once and the trip was one of my most memorable ones coz all that i've now from that trip is memories..no one else associated with it is with me...I was truely amazed to see your blog..can we be friends and know each other better. U can visit my blog on thoughtsnrashi or Silent rains..an not a regular blogger but I'm a regular writer!! hoping ot hear from u soon.
U can also email me at rashi_jamuar@dell.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails