Why this blog is called "Gallimaufry".

gal-uh-MAW-free\, noun.

Originally meaning "a hash of various kinds of meats," "gallimaufry" comes from French galimafrée; in Old French, from the word galer, "to rejoice, to make merry"; in old English: gala + mafrer: "to eat much," and from Medieval Dutch maffelen: "to open one's mouth wide."

It's also a dish made by hashing up odds and ends of food; a heterogeneous mixture; a hodge-podge; a ragout; a confused jumble; a ridiculous medley; a promiscuous (!) assemblage of persons.

Those of you who know me, will, I’m sure, understand how well some of these phrases (barring the "promiscuous" bit!) fit me.

More importantly, this blog is an ode to my love for Shimla. I hope to show you this little town through my eyes. If you don't see too many people in it, forgive me, because I'm a little chary of turning this into a human zoo.

Stop by for a spell, look at my pictures, ask me questions about Shimla, if you wish. I shall try and answer them as best as I can. Let's be friends for a while....

8 January 2009

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Said Jean-Baptiste Alphonse-Karr. (The more things change, the more they stay the same.)


I love this little old building, Christchurch, which stands in the heart of Shimla. If you look at the pictures below, you will notice that the passage of time hasn't changed it all that much, even as its surroundings have become more crowded, more populated and filthier.
Colonel J. T. Boileau desgined it in 1844, but it was to be consecrated only in 1857. The clock was donated by one Colonel Dumbleton in 1860 and the porch was added in 1873. Charles Allen says in his wonderful book on Kipling that his father (Kipling's, not Allen's) had designed a beautiful fresco around the chancel window, but sadly, this has long since disappeared. No doubt, destroyed by zealous coats of paint added over the years.

Someday, I would like to photograph the beautiful stained glass windows, which according to Shimla maven Raaja Bhasin, represent the virtues of Faith, Hope, Charity, Fortitude, Patience and Humility. Qualities that one hopes to cultivate assiduously in the New Year....

3 comments:

Atoorva said...

you can find some very amateur pics of those stain glasses in my web album
http://picasaweb.google.co.in/atoorva/YarrowsShimla#
Yeah, church is very dear old building....even though may not be that beautiful as many other stone cathedrals of northern India but then I remember a very smart comment by Rajaa bhasin that after all " it is a PWD built church" .:-) You must read the tablets inside the church carefully....you may recognise many names ...e.g. cecil kaye (father of author MM Kaye)

Dr Jonathan Miles-Watson said...

Yes beautiful stained glass windows. The 9am Sunday service, which is sparsely attended is a real delight. The church is filled with such peace and as the dawn light breaks through the windows and fills the church you can't help but feel something of the presence of the Divine. I have some nice photographs of the light coming through the windows that I can share with you if you like.But for real quality photographs you should drop in on Father Wilson, his house is just by Christ Church on the right and his son has a friend who does some very professional shots of the church.

Geetali said...

Thank you, I will surely beg Father Wlson for a look at the pictures :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails