Why this blog is called "Gallimaufry".

gal-uh-MAW-free\, noun.

Originally meaning "a hash of various kinds of meats," "gallimaufry" comes from French galimafrée; in Old French, from the word galer, "to rejoice, to make merry"; in old English: gala + mafrer: "to eat much," and from Medieval Dutch maffelen: "to open one's mouth wide."

It's also a dish made by hashing up odds and ends of food; a heterogeneous mixture; a hodge-podge; a ragout; a confused jumble; a ridiculous medley; a promiscuous (!) assemblage of persons.

Those of you who know me, will, I’m sure, understand how well some of these phrases (barring the "promiscuous" bit!) fit me.

More importantly, this blog is an ode to my love for Shimla. I hope to show you this little town through my eyes. If you don't see too many people in it, forgive me, because I'm a little chary of turning this into a human zoo.

Stop by for a spell, look at my pictures, ask me questions about Shimla, if you wish. I shall try and answer them as best as I can. Let's be friends for a while....

11 February 2009

At last! At long last!

It snowed last night! Finally. This year, Shimla has had to wait for over two and a half months for its first snowfall. This has caused much anxiety to local residents as poor snowfall directly affects the availability of water to the town. Poor snowfall also has a bad impact on the apple orchards, since, by acting as a thermal insulator, snow protects crops from intense cold in the upper regions of Himachal Pradesh.

This is how Shimla looks this morning:


Photographs taken while sipping my morning cuppa:






I'm reminded of lines from James Russell Lowell's poem "The First Snow-Fall":
Every pine and fir and hemlock
Wore ermine too dear for an Earl
And the poorest twig on the elm tree
Was ridged inch deep with pearl
.

2 comments:

Atoorva said...

wow...will you please make a snow man for me. (A red carrot for his nose..pl )

Geetali said...

I would have, dear girl. Except that all the snow melted away the next day. Shall do so the *next* time it snows & give you KDs for the same!

Related Posts with Thumbnails