Why this blog is called "Gallimaufry".

gal-uh-MAW-free\, noun.

Originally meaning "a hash of various kinds of meats," "gallimaufry" comes from French galimafrée; in Old French, from the word galer, "to rejoice, to make merry"; in old English: gala + mafrer: "to eat much," and from Medieval Dutch maffelen: "to open one's mouth wide."

It's also a dish made by hashing up odds and ends of food; a heterogeneous mixture; a hodge-podge; a ragout; a confused jumble; a ridiculous medley; a promiscuous (!) assemblage of persons.

Those of you who know me, will, I’m sure, understand how well some of these phrases (barring the "promiscuous" bit!) fit me.

More importantly, this blog is an ode to my love for Shimla. I hope to show you this little town through my eyes. If you don't see too many people in it, forgive me, because I'm a little chary of turning this into a human zoo.

Stop by for a spell, look at my pictures, ask me questions about Shimla, if you wish. I shall try and answer them as best as I can. Let's be friends for a while....

13 March 2009

Beshrew that heart that makes my heart to groan......

This post is in honour of spring. I have no idea when spring is supposed to officially arrive in Shimla. But who cares, flowers are in full bloom, the nip in the air is lightening and everyone seems to have a slight skip in their walk!
I looked deep into the hearts of these flowers and found in each a radiant, joyous light. So clear, so true. The light of spring.


















I take my heart in my hand,
O my God, O my God,
My broken heart in my hand:
Thou hast seen, judge Thou.
My hope was written in sand.
O my God, O my God:
Now let Thy judgement stand -
Yes, judge me now.

This contemn'd of a man,
This marr'd one heedless day,
This heart take Thou to scan
Both within and without:
Refine with fire its gold,
Purge Thou its dross away -
Yea, hold it in thy hold,
Whence none can pluck it out.

I take my heart in my hand -
I shall not die but live -
Before Thy face I stand;
I, for Thou callest such:
All that I have I bring,
All that I am I give,
Smile Thou and I shall sing,
But shall not question much.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Spring here in Ohio comes on March 21, 2009. Like you I am ready for spring.

Geetali said...

It's creeping up on us in Shimla, Abe, verrrry slowly but surely. The forests are aflame with rhododendrons - a sure sign that spring's round the corner :)

Saara Jahan said...

Not just flowers, brand new tender leaves on a tree also look wonderful! Since it is the beginning, these leaves share space with old crumbling leaves, which are ready to fall to make way for the new...slowly, vary gracefully. Perhaps a lesson for our politicians!

Anonymous said...

Love this attitude: "I have no idea when spring is supposed to officially arrive in Shimla. But who cares..."

That opens the possibility of spring in December!

Related Posts with Thumbnails