Why this blog is called "Gallimaufry".

gal-uh-MAW-free\, noun.

Originally meaning "a hash of various kinds of meats," "gallimaufry" comes from French galimafrée; in Old French, from the word galer, "to rejoice, to make merry"; in old English: gala + mafrer: "to eat much," and from Medieval Dutch maffelen: "to open one's mouth wide."

It's also a dish made by hashing up odds and ends of food; a heterogeneous mixture; a hodge-podge; a ragout; a confused jumble; a ridiculous medley; a promiscuous (!) assemblage of persons.

Those of you who know me, will, I’m sure, understand how well some of these phrases (barring the "promiscuous" bit!) fit me.

More importantly, this blog is an ode to my love for Shimla. I hope to show you this little town through my eyes. If you don't see too many people in it, forgive me, because I'm a little chary of turning this into a human zoo.

Stop by for a spell, look at my pictures, ask me questions about Shimla, if you wish. I shall try and answer them as best as I can. Let's be friends for a while....

15 April 2009

In the dusk of day-shapes, blurring the sunset.....

All these years in Shimla, and I simply have not got over our magnificent sunsets. Every single evening is magical. Every single evening reveals new colours, new hues, new shades: blue, orange, lilac, gold, pink, yellow, purple. Each encounter with dusk is unique and spell-binding.
As Sartre says: "At dusk, you must have good eyesight to be able to tell the Good Lord from the Devil"





~ BETWEEN TWO HILLS ~

Between two hills
The old town stands

The houses loom
And the roofs and treesAnd the dusk and the dark
The damp and the dew
Are there.


The prayers are said
And the people rest
For sleep is there
And the touch of dreams
Is over all.


~ Carl Sandburg ~






3 comments:

Velu said...

Great snaps. Nice to see you posting.

Have moved to Gurgaon, let me know when you come to the rajdhani, so you can come over (or even we may come over to the lutyens delhi :))

Ann said...

The top one is just glorious. They are all beautiful. One day I will get up there.

Geetali said...

Thanks, Anuj. I don't have your new cellphone no., btw. PM or e-mail it to me, please. Big hello to the Missus.

Thank you, Ann. Do come over. This place is lovely. (And I'm a broken record!)

Related Posts with Thumbnails