Why this blog is called "Gallimaufry".

gal-uh-MAW-free\, noun.

Originally meaning "a hash of various kinds of meats," "gallimaufry" comes from French galimafrée; in Old French, from the word galer, "to rejoice, to make merry"; in old English: gala + mafrer: "to eat much," and from Medieval Dutch maffelen: "to open one's mouth wide."

It's also a dish made by hashing up odds and ends of food; a heterogeneous mixture; a hodge-podge; a ragout; a confused jumble; a ridiculous medley; a promiscuous (!) assemblage of persons.

Those of you who know me, will, I’m sure, understand how well some of these phrases (barring the "promiscuous" bit!) fit me.

More importantly, this blog is an ode to my love for Shimla. I hope to show you this little town through my eyes. If you don't see too many people in it, forgive me, because I'm a little chary of turning this into a human zoo.

Stop by for a spell, look at my pictures, ask me questions about Shimla, if you wish. I shall try and answer them as best as I can. Let's be friends for a while....

9 August 2009

Spreadin' the luurve.

There are some people whose blogs/sites I follow very assiduously. They're amazing people: insightful, intelligent and so amazingly perceptive. My favourite posts made by my favourite bloggers in the recent past:

Ann, while meandering through Sydney explored the Rocks Market.

Bibliophile posted an interesting Wednesday Reading Challenge asking you to consider a primary religious text and how it affected the literary culture and heritage of your country.

Vinayak took his readers down memory lane by creating a list of Kishore Kumar's best songs.

Atoorva pondered on why she is a bureaucrat.

Paul reminded us why photographers need people skills.

Dick enlightened us on how organisations become inhuman.

Christina blogged live on Thursday. An interesting experiment.

Melanie was her usual entertaining and insightful self when she owned up to being a girly girl.

Nityin gave us a wonderful insights into how a bride is welcomed in Himachal Pradesh.

Delhiwalla made some powerful observations about the power of faith.

Shilpa taught us how to make "hirva batata", a potato curry in coconut masala. Simple and fabulous!

Thank you, each one of you. I read you and learn. I read you and am inspired. I read and am awe-struck. You folks are brilliant.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails