Why this blog is called "Gallimaufry".

gal-uh-MAW-free\, noun.

Originally meaning "a hash of various kinds of meats," "gallimaufry" comes from French galimafrée; in Old French, from the word galer, "to rejoice, to make merry"; in old English: gala + mafrer: "to eat much," and from Medieval Dutch maffelen: "to open one's mouth wide."

It's also a dish made by hashing up odds and ends of food; a heterogeneous mixture; a hodge-podge; a ragout; a confused jumble; a ridiculous medley; a promiscuous (!) assemblage of persons.

Those of you who know me, will, I’m sure, understand how well some of these phrases (barring the "promiscuous" bit!) fit me.

More importantly, this blog is an ode to my love for Shimla. I hope to show you this little town through my eyes. If you don't see too many people in it, forgive me, because I'm a little chary of turning this into a human zoo.

Stop by for a spell, look at my pictures, ask me questions about Shimla, if you wish. I shall try and answer them as best as I can. Let's be friends for a while....

16 February 2010

O sweet woods, the delight of solitariness!

I love walking in the Sheogh woods, and try to go there at least once every month, if only to observe its changing hues. The moist, half-open darkness beckons, as if to share something deep and secret, the muffled cry of a torn heart, or the whisper of a slowly awakening joy.
I go there to escape the sharp nudgings of ambition. The harsh calls of thought are stilled in the sweet damp woods. Feasting on the fresh air, it is a memorable experience to lose myself a little while in the dappled shades and the speckled sunshine. The mild light chequers and partitions the view of the woods ahead and the dales deep beyond.
Nature does not let me fret and fume.





Where sunshine flecks the green,
Through towering woods my way
Goes winding all day.
Scant are the flowers that bloom
Beneath the bosky screen
And cage of golden gloom.
Few are the birds that call
Shrill-voiced and seldom seen.
Where silence masters all,
And light my footsteps fall,
The whispering runnels only
With blazing noon confer;
And comes no breeze to stir
The tangled thickets lonely.

~ Siegfried Sassoon ~




6 comments:

Priya said...

Ok - I can't help but say this...you actually get to see all these places and do all this stuff in your "regular" life? Did you apply for the "best job in the world" contest or something? :) The olive green is now emerald ;-)

Geetali said...

LOL, go on, you!! Yes, this is part of my ''regular'' life. If I told you what I do, Priya, I'd have to kill you ;-)

Priya said...

:) Ironically, you do have a life one could kill for but let me not "nazar lagao"! Oh well atleast I can try to smell the fresh air in the woods and enjoy the view via your wonderful sojourns! Wish i could use my camera (canon 350) half as well! That kinda camera deserves a nice place! Which camera do you use?

Ranjani Mitra said...

Something stirred deep within me when I saw these snaps.....
You are a lucky girl.....dear one....

Geetali said...

Priya, I use a Nikon D-90.

Thank you, dear chaddi-buddy. I am deeply aware of the blessings in my life and daily grateful for them.

Priya said...

ah that's a great camera. Although, in this case, I believe the photographer should get the credit rather than the camera :) Thank you for sharing such beautiful visuals!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails