Why this blog is called "Gallimaufry".

gal-uh-MAW-free\, noun.

Originally meaning "a hash of various kinds of meats," "gallimaufry" comes from French galimafrée; in Old French, from the word galer, "to rejoice, to make merry"; in old English: gala + mafrer: "to eat much," and from Medieval Dutch maffelen: "to open one's mouth wide."

It's also a dish made by hashing up odds and ends of food; a heterogeneous mixture; a hodge-podge; a ragout; a confused jumble; a ridiculous medley; a promiscuous (!) assemblage of persons.

Those of you who know me, will, I’m sure, understand how well some of these phrases (barring the "promiscuous" bit!) fit me.

More importantly, this blog is an ode to my love for Shimla. I hope to show you this little town through my eyes. If you don't see too many people in it, forgive me, because I'm a little chary of turning this into a human zoo.

Stop by for a spell, look at my pictures, ask me questions about Shimla, if you wish. I shall try and answer them as best as I can. Let's be friends for a while....

2 August 2010

Old age, calm, expanded, broad with the haughty breadth of the universe... flowing free with the delicious near-by freedom of death.





It ought to be lovely to be old
to be full of the peace that comes of experience
and wrinkled ripe fulfilment.

The wrinkled smile of completeness that follows a life
lived undaunted and unsoured with accepted lies
they would ripen like apples, and be scented like pippins
in their old age.

Soothing, old people should be, like apples
when one is tired of love.
Fragrant like yellowing leaves, and dim with the soft
stillness and satisfaction of autumn.

And a girl should say:
It must be wonderful to live and grow old.
Look at my mother, how rich and still she is! -

And a young man should think: By Jove
my father has faced all weathers, but it's been a life!

~ D H Lawrence ~





4 comments:

Satyananda said...

Dear GT,
Just came across this wonderful blog a few days back. Your photography is very noticeable, Portraits and close ups are very expressive. In this one i really like the last picture. Could be an excellent cover photo of lonely planet's Himachal edition. I loved your Sheogh n Vihar feature. I used to go to Sheogh bushwalks with Dad. Feeling all nostalgic...

i'll be waiting for the time when you visit Kotgarh n Thanedhar and do a feature on it.

Lots of love, regards and best wishes!

Saurabh

Geetali said...

Sauravh, thank you for stopping by and for your really kind words. Hope to make it to Kotgarh while the apple season is still on :)

Kamal Sharma said...

Another of your beautiful blog post. Reminded me of my grandpa - a hearty strong man who lived a full and beautifull life. A befitting poem to top the post.

Geetali said...

Kamal, so glad that I brought a happy memory back. Thank you for sharing it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails